Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Deities: Which one?

Written by ibn Riaz
In our previously discussed supplication, we observed the concise speech of the Prophet (ṣallallāhu `alayhi wa sallam). The following narration provides another example of that.
`Imrān b. Ḥuṣayn narrated: “The Prophet (ṣallallāhu `alayhi wa sallam) said to my father: ‘O Ḥuṣayn, how many deities do you worship now?’ He said: ‘Seven. Six in the earth, and one above the heavens.’ He said, ‘So which of them do you take for your ardent requests and fears?’ He said: ‘The one above the heavens.’ He said, ‘O Ḥuṣayn, if you would but accept Islām, I would teach you two phrases that would benefit you.’”
He said: “So when Ḥuṣayn accepted Islām, he said: ‘O Messenger of Allāh, teach me the two phrases you promised me,’ so he (ṣallallāhu `alayhi wa sallam) said, ‘Say:
اللّهُمَّ أَلْهِمْنِي رُشْدِي وَأَعِذْنِي مِنْ شَرِّ نَفْسِي
Transliteration:
Allāhumma alhimnī rushdī wa a`idhnī min sharri nafsī
Translation:O Allāh, inspire me to be rightly guided and protect me from the evil of myself.’”[1]

http://muslimmatters.org/2011/12/23/the-supplication-series-seeking-rightful-guidance/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do comment with your open heart n mind.